Friday, May 1, 2009

Time Marches on...

May Day, May Day... It is the first of May and I along with the rest of the nation are looking for better days to come.
The last few weeks I have been working on Java code for a good friend of mine Bob Arasmith. Bob is a great guy and one of the best engineers I have ever worked with / for. Our friendship goes back more than 25 years (yea I know, we don't look that old) when we first met at Verbatim in 1983. But back to the subject of working with Java.
The first thing I that hit me is that although I have been around Java from a QA perspective since the early 1990s I really had not developed a serious application with it. Java is pretty straight forward I guess but after working with Ruby and Rails for the past 3 years Java feels a bit heavy. My first project was to parse some very large text files and create a database from the contents. This was definitely not rocket science but it did give me a good task to familiarize myself with Java. I am now working on a second project that will incorporate JSW or perhaps YAJSW for monitoring a collection of applications and services. Wish me luck.

By the way, I am still looking for consulting, contracting or a permanent position, any leads would be most welcome.

No comments: