Thursday, January 22, 2009

Is Development finally getting SaaSy

I spent a few minutes the other day speaking with Scott Price and getting to know a little about his company LoadStorm and their impending Beta. Cloud computing and SaaS seems to be "the next thing" lately, everyone (with the notable exception of Larry ) is proclaiming it to be the next big thing and for the most part I agree.

I think back two years ago when I started my journey as an independent contractor, I thought then there was a definite market for SaaS based tools. New companies were emerging that were more "hosted" or "ASP" than SaaS but Salesforce.com opened the door and with Amazon EC2 and S3 SMEs can afford to go green. IMHO, virtualization and multitenancy are going to have a significant impact not only on the way software is distributed, but how it is developed as well.

LoadStorm is not trying to compete with the big boys, at least not yet, but as more similar products mature and become availble, the big boys may find their market share eroding. LoadStorm, I think falls somewhere between the DYI with Open Source and the Enterprise that want and can afford the top of the line offerings.

I am going to kick the tires on LoadStorm's product and see if I can find a lightning strike.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Rick,

Thank you for trying LoadStorm. You are right, we aren't going after the big boys. Our goal is to make the absolute simplest, easiest, least expensive load testing tool in the universe.

Our dev team has moved our code to a new production image on EC2 this week. As of this morning, there a couple of tweaks they are making to the load generation configuration. Roger, our CTO, told me that we should be customer beta ready on Monday.

Free accounts! check out web performance testing for more info.

Thanks again!